My publications are listed on the publications page.
- Safely Combining Concurrency Abstractions (since 2012)
Concurrent programming is hard, and we make it harder by using abstractions that cannot be combined safely.
In this project, we search for safe and efficient combinations.
- Meta-Level Engineering and Tooling for Complex Concurrent Systems (since 2016)
In this project, we work on instrumentation and tooling for applications that combine concurrency abstractions.
Partners: Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Johannes Kepler University Linz
- Building Faster Languages Faster! (since 2013)
Writing custom VMs for DSLs or research languages is not practical.
So, how can we reuse JIT compilers for new languages?
- SOM: Simple Object Machine (maintainer since 2012)
A simple Smalltalk for teaching and experimenting with language implementation techniques. Implemented among others in Java, C, C++, Smalltalk, and Python.
SOM++ used by IBM to showcase Project OMR's GC and JIT compiler
SOM implemented based on Oracle Lab's Truffle and Graal platform.
SOM implemented with RPython, similar to TruffleSOM, showcasing the power of self-optimizing interpreters.
- OMOP: Supporting Concurrency Abstractions in Virtual Machines (2008-2013)
An Ownership-based Metaobject Protocol to support concurrent programming in multi-language VMs
- Project Renaissance: Harness Emergence (2009-2011)
Avoid the Concurrency Trap by Embracing Non-Determinism.
Partners: IBM Research, Portland State University, and Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Workshop Organizer: Meta'17,
- Program Committee Member:
SPLASH'17 Workshops, ICPP'17, VEE'17, PASS'17, ACM Student Research Competition at '17,
AGERE'15, ECOOP AEC'15,
- Sub-Reviewer: OOPSLA'13, ECOOP'13, Coordination'13, TOOLS'11, AOSD'10, Coordination'10, DLS'10, ECOOP'10, OOPSLA'10, AOSD'09, DLS'09
- Assisted organizers of RACES'12
Latest Research-Related Posts
Jul 5, 2017
A 10 Year Journey, Stop 5: Growing the SOM Family
Jun 6, 2017
A 10 Year Journey, Stop 4: Concurrency and Tooling
May 14, 2017
A 10 Year Journey, Stop 3: Performance, Performance, and Metaprogramming
May 7, 2017
A 10 Year Journey, Stop 2: Supporting All Kind of Concurrency Models on a Simple VM
Apr 30, 2017
10 Years of Language Implementations
Mar 7, 2017
SOMns 0.2 Release with CSP, STM, Threads, and Fork/Join
Jan 10, 2017
Communicating Sequential Processes for Newspeak/SOMns
Oct 25, 2016
Cross-Language Compiler Benchmarking: Are We Fast Yet?
Oct 22, 2016
Language Research with Truffle at the SPLASH'16 Conference
Aug 10, 2016
Can we get the IDE for free, too?
All posts: Research